Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Painting Techniques: Layered Painting

I continue to branch off from my art history posts a little bit.
Bare with me.
I really felt like painting today but had neither the time nor materials at my disposal. I need more money as I've run low on acrylic paint and water colors, I'm not one for using oil much.
So I decided to read through my technique and history books, which did not quench my desire to paint, it merely exacerbated it.
I've been trying to improve my layering technique and thought reading about it and looking at various examples would help; it certainly wouldn't hurt. The method is a lengthy one, and is best suited to miniatures, photo-realism, and painting that requires a very high degree of detail and surface finish.
Following the steps properly are crucial, if you rush too much it won't have the same look or effect, which is the problem I run into the most...I always rush.
1. You begin with the idea of course and lay down some thin pencil lines and some broad washes of color.
(a broad wash of color is like a thin glaze, should be transparent for the most part)
2. Dry
3. Lay in another thin body of color.
4. Dry
5. Lay in second thin body color, within the contours of the first layer or overpainting it.
6. Continue building up the underpainting in a long, continuous process of trial and error. You can use a full range of techniques during this step.
7. Dry thoroughly
8. Lay in glazes and work wet into wet as neccessary.
9. Dry
10. Lay in thicker glazes, modifying previous glazes where necessary.
11. Add body color to recapture areas glazed too heavily.
It is also possible to alternate body color and glaze rather than leave all glazing to the end. Shadows may be created by glazes, and the final picture harmonized.
Here are some examples of finished pieces using layered painting technique-



This shows a good glazing thechnique, note being abe to see the music notes in the sky and the darkening around the edges and corners.

This is another good example.
Layering is good when you want nice transitions between different values and highlights.
Wet into wet — wet color into, over or alongside other wet color
Glazing — layer of transparent color: laid on when paint below is practically dry: any color can be used with glazing medium but transparent colors are best.
I think I might try and paint a bit this weekend, but with all my midterms coming up next week I probably shouldn't get wapped up too much in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment